I attended SIGIR2005 in
Salvador Brazil, but first I got to spend a
weekend in Rio on the way there.
The food was amazing!
We stayed on the beach in Cococabana.
The views from Sugar
Interesting trees in Rio (I don't know what kind they are... does
The sand castles of Rio. There were a number of artists who
built elaborate sand pieces along the beach.
- A religious artpiece (with Dulce) - small and large
- My favorite sandcastle - small
- Dulce and I at my favorite sandcastle - small and large
- Rio beach art - small
- This one had a painted roof and a koi pond (to the right of this
picture) - small and large
The food and music were great, but the best part of Rio was learning
how to make a sandcastle. My favorite sand castle had a sign next to it
offering classes. I signed up for a private lesson. About
$20 for 45 minutes (before I had to run to the airport) and this is the
Churches in Salvador, Bahia
- Catedral Basilica - small
- The tiles (from Portugal) in the courtyard warned against all
sorts of evil doings - here suggesting "nature in the best moderator" -
small and large
- The courtyard of the Sao Francisco Church and Convent - small and large
- A plaza in Pelourinho - small
New pictures for xxd 08.12.2005
Last updated August 27, 2005. Copyright (c) 2005 by Malcolm
Slaney. All rights reserved.